Monday, May 15, 2006

Here's My Story

Today’s Monday, May 15th 2006.

I’ve got Barry White CD popped in the player. I’m all set to write my story.

I’m at home, writing this and wondering if I’ll survive the day all alone at home.

I’m at home from now till end of the month (maybe) coz I have left VS. I will be starting my new job by then with the foreign company I mentioned in my previous entry. As for my last days in VS, I admit I left heavy-heartedly and had mixed feelings altogether.

My last day was supposed to be on May 7th but one day before my last day, the Indian consultant, AK, mentioned that HR wanted me to stay and they are willing to transfer me to AK’s team if I said ‘yes’. When I had my exit interview with HR earlier, they were shocked to learn that VF and I wanted to leave because we’ve had enough of Raccoon. We had no problem with the job but we couldn’t stand working in Raccoon’s team for obvious reasons. I knew I had to make a decision fast so I wrote an email to the gang and said I will be extending my stay for another 2 weeks. The phone immediately rang and ML was on the other end, hoping to talk me out of the decision I have made earlier. She did, at one point made me realized that I was too hasty. There were things that I overlooked and that I was blinded by the offer to join AK’s team. I admit that the offer was tempting. I would rather join AK’s team coz the job scope was far more interesting. Not to mention that AK and I got along so well coz we tend to think alike.

When I made the decision, my sole intention was to help Doorbell and AK. I didn’t realize that by helping them, I was actually helping the project as a whole. This is the issue. It’s a big issue among the gang. They didn’t want me to help the project in particular. They said this is the best time for revenge. After all, the management has done so many things to us all. Me included. To the gang, by extending my stay, it was as if I’ve forgotten all the hard times that the management had made us endured and it was like repaying cruelty with kindness.

I was torn between wanting to help those in need and satisfying the urge of revenge.

I went and see HR to say that I will only stay for a week instead of two.

Against the gang’s advise, I showed up to work the next Monday. As expected, I received emails from the lot. The Dutchman gave me an earful about my decision. Not to mention the calls from the rest. I almost lost my temper to ML because of what she said on the phone.

I told them, it’s a personal battle for me. A battle between principles, ego and compassion. I won’t know if it’s the right decision but if it’s not, then I’ll learn my lesson. If it’s the right thing to do, I should be proud that I could closed my eyes and ignore the ‘things’ that they’ve done and do them this last deed. I couldn’t say ‘no’ when Doorbell and AK asked for help. I felt it’s my responsibility to at least teach Doorbell what I know and give her that sense of confidence to perform UAT. After all, the clients will be there to judge our every move and decisions. I even came to work on Wesak Day; just to help them out coz it didn’t feel right to leave them when they’re facing such problems. The problems were huge, by the way. I have made a decision to stay on for another week just to help them, sort out the problems and to convince the clients that we know what we’re doing coz they are losing their confidence just by looking at how Doorbell performed the UAT and the amount of problems we’re having. AK confirmed my concerns when the clients started asking him about SAP and that they were surprised to learn that I was leaving.

I was willing to stay for the second week but I finally decided not to because Raccoon did not even bother to ask me to do so.

In fact he didn’t bother to ask me anything at all since the day I hand him the resignation letter. He didn’t ask why I wanted to leave, let alone asked me to stay longer. He didn’t even have the decency to say ‘thank you’ when I decided to stay for the first week. Heck, even the PMO Director thanked me for making that decision!

Doorbell and AK was upset, I could tell. It was hard for me as well but I have to teach Raccoon a lesson. I’m not too proud of my action – leaving them in such condition but I think it’s about time that I get even with Raccoon. Like I mentioned, this was a personal battle for me. They have used me over and over, all these while. Now it’s time for them to see that what goes around, comes around.

So, that’s why I’m at home today. Taking a break for a couple of weeks before i start my new job.

*****************************************************************************************

I hope I’ll survive the days alone in the house coz my house was broken into a few weeks ago. In fact, 2 times in less then 2 weeks!

The first occurred on a Thursday. Deli got home a few minutes before me to find the sliding door wide opened. He went in to switch on the light and called the cops. They arrived almost 45 minutes later. Apparently they went to the wrong house and surrounded the house thinking that the thieves were still in there. Meanwhile, we were standing outside ours for almost an hour like idiots.

The house was a total wreck. I lost all of my jewelries, some money, the kids’ piggy banks and Deli’s PS II. They didn’t touch others and most importantly, they didn’t do anything to the cats. We were just thankful that nobody was home and harmed.

Less then 2 weeks later, on a Tuesday, Deli picked up the kids and Tok Mak whom has just arrived from BP by bus. I was still in the office when Deli called to inform that the house was broken into again! I was shocked and immediately lost concentration on work. I didn’t drive that day so I had to wait for Deli to come and fetch me. Got to know later on that the thieves didn’t manage to get pass the grilled door so they didn’t manage to get in this time. Still, the thought of somebody trying to break into the house haunts me. Especially when Deli was due to fly to Sydney the next. Boy, am I glad that Tok Mak agreed to accompany me this time around!

So, hopefully nothing bad is gonna happen while I’m alone in the house.

No comments: