Tuesday, September 15, 2009

About A Babe

Zura called me earlier today to inform that she’s warded in APSH.

A year ago, we met at the same place – our beds next to each other. I wrote this piece about her but didn’t publish it for a reason I couldn’t even recall.

Tuesday came and a new patient filled the empty bed beside me. She drew the curtains surrounding her bed almost immediately and stayed on her bed for quite some time. We did not speak until the next day.

Took us less than 10 minutes to get acquainted and immediately hit it off.

Zura is one chatty babe. She’s the same age as Ainil but found comfort in calling her kakak. It’s a miracle that she didn’t call me auntie, given the age difference. Hahah.

We were the 3 musketeers. We’d move from one bed to another, talking, laughing and literally owned the four-bedded ward. There’s another patient in the same ward but somehow she preferred to be left alone. I suppose four is a crowd.

With Zura around, our conversations became more open. If it’s a reality show, half of our talks would be taken over by the censoring beeps. When Zura’s mom and siblings came to visit, they ended up in our quarters instead of hers. They were as friendly as she was, if not more.


Breaks my heart to know that she’s in the hospital again, from the same illness. I am going to see her tonight and see what I can do to ease her pain a little.

1 comment:

diana zainal said...

kesian masuk hospital nak dekat2 raya ni.. hope your friend is all right.