Thursday, May 07, 2009

Of Strange Dreams

There were 2 trucks and there was my car, wedged in between. There was not much space between all 3 vehicles and I thought I’d feel much better if I could get away from the little domino. I was a bit hesitant at first, fearing that I might hit the truck in front of me but annoyed at the same time by the unnecessary mess.

I didn’t know what happened but as I was overtaking the truck, I was hit by the truck behind me. The crash sent my car spinning away and I remembered feeling numb followed by indescribable pain down my legs. The last thing I remembered was a pair of hands pulling me out of the car to safety before my car exploded.

The next thing I know, I was lying on the hospital bed. Every single bone throbbing with excruciating pain, every single limb felt like they were shredded into tiny pieces. I opened my eyes, trying to look for a familiar face for comfort but could not find any. I was alone. All alone with no idea if I was missing any body parts or they still function like those of a normal, healthy person.

Everything was a blur – memory and sight.

Then I drifted back to sleep. Worry nesting deep at the pit of my stomach.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was driving back from work, taking the same route I always do. The traffic was not as smooth as I wished it were but that’s just the way it is. I stopped to give way to a cab with the right indicator turned on at a T-junction.

As the cab driver swerved his car to the right, a lady on a motorbike sped through in front of it. There it was - the stunned cab driver, the shocked and annoyed-looking lady, thrown off her bike and a part of the bike, underneath the cab.

All I could say was ‘Oh my God!’
Repeatedly.

Fortunately, the lady escaped unscathed while a Good Samaritan helped to pull her bike from underneath the cab. Both the cab driver and the lady moved their respective vehicles to the roadside so not to block the traffic.

I drove off, slightly trembling from shock. The poor lady might have suffered a different fate. She could be badly hurt or worse, she could be dead.

I couldn’t stop thinking about the incident. The questions of 'what if' lingered and tasted bitter at the back of my throat.

If only I didn’t let the cab pass in front of me.
If only I acted fast enough and honk the cab driver, he would have stopped and avoid the bike.

If only. Then again, that’s all we could think about. The what if’s.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see, the first story was actually my dream. The second one was a real incident.

The reason why I am noting all this down is because of the fact that this is not the first time. It’s not the first time I am getting hints, signs, leads, whatever you want to call it, to a real life scenario.

The first was when my grandfather passed away.

I was warded at the hospital for a minor procedure and dreamt that my grandfather who was then in the hospital, left us all. The next day, my mom called me and conveyed the disheartening news.

The second time it happened was when I had a dream about death. How it’s coming to claim my life and how unready I was to meet my creator. The following day, my sister called and informed that my closest cousin died of breast cancer.

So today when I woke up, the first thing I did was texted Deli (who’s away on overseas business trip) to check if he’s okay. He didn’t promptly answer my message, probably still sleeping, judging by the 5 hours time difference.

I was extremely careful on the road – chauffeuring the kids to school and making my way to the office. Thank God, nothing bad happened.

I made sure I crossed the road where there’s pedestrian crossing. When the traffic light refused to work during lunch, I stayed close to E for extra protection while crossing the road. I’m pretty sure Malaysians are more attentive to foreigners compared to locals.

Little did I know that it’s not about me. The mystery of life continues to amaze me.

I don’t know if I’d ever feel comfortable having this sort of dreams again. Maybe yes, maybe no. I seriously have no idea.

Until then, life goes on.

2 comments:

PerantauSepi1306 said...

seriously arn mmg tak comfortable when we have such dream, right... me have these kinda of things too but in quite a diff way.. and so scary when we usually terjaga at around 4.00am in the morning sweating with cold feet...

The Star Gazer said...

oh my... memang tak best... makes you feel vulnerable giler...

then again, i guess we have to be thankful for such 'gift'... i suppose it's there for a reason... kan?