Monday, May 18, 2009

Reading Pleasure

I’m not well.

Have been so since last week. I don’t think it’s the infamous Swine Flu coz I don’t bear all the symptoms. If I do, I will definitely raise an alert. -wink-

Have a couple of docs to do but I’m just not in the mood.

I’m in the mood to just put my feet up and read Angels & Demons. Thought I should read the book before watching the movie. Have no idea when I’ll be able to finish it – it’s one darn thick book!

I was actually looking for the illustrated version but am not sure if there’s any. I had the illustrated version of Da Vinci Code and it helped a lot in understanding the story better. I remembered suffering major pain – head, for the information overload and hand, for holding on to the heavy book for too long. It’s worth the pain because it’s one of my all-time favorite. The book seldom sits on the shelves – it’s always somewhere in my bedroom, waiting to be read or skimmed through.

As any other adaptation, most of the time the movie will not be as good as the book but that’s not the whole point.

Da Vinci Code is a film I’ve watched over and over and never get tired of drinking in the details and the rush of discovering hidden truth. I am hoping Angels & Demons would be as interesting. I am only on the 65th page and I’m already anxious to discover the twist and turns. I can't wait to see how the movie would turn out.

By the way, adik was very upset to discover that I didn’t buy him a book he picked up (and later, set on the shelves) at the bookshop yesterday. He came to my room earlier this morning looking for it and was close to tears when he learned about the incident. I was too busy looking for Angels & Demons that I forgot to check with him about getting the book. Kakak and him picked up 2 more books from their favorite series and I seriously thought he’s not interested in the first book anymore.

Poor baby. I plan to make it up to him. Soon.

It’s always a dilemma – how do you instill reading interest when all the books are so darn expensive? My kids love to read but books from their favorite lines costs $14 a piece. They’d normally go for a book each but when they find titles they have yet to own, it’s like finding treasure while digging sand on the beach. The excitement, the thrill and the mounting hopes are simply priceless.

Let’s not forget that the parents are avid readers too. Each time we set foot into a bookstore, each one of us would at least get a book or magazine. It’s either the kids or the parents – someone needs to practice self restrain. Can it be the kids? Can it, please? Heheh.

I have just redeemed $20 from MPH last month. At the rate I’m going, I’ll be getting more cash vouchers soon!

Maybe we should have a bookshop of our own and read the books ourselves. Sigh.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just lay back and read? Maybe near a beach or somewhere peaceful.

That’ll be a total bliss.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arn,

Don't worry. By the way it is tax deductible up to RM500 per year, right?

Aske'

larawannabe said...

Try the national library. But i must warn, book selection is a bit bleh. However, if u persevere, u'll find a worthy treasure ;)

vunfung said...

the da vinci code book u're referring to is the book tat we bought together at the times warehouse sales kat wat's-the-building-called(?)-near-amapang-park tu ke? hehehe extreme besar buku tu tau?

The Star Gazer said...

Aske: I managed to exceed those numbers every singele year... hihihi...

Lara: Thought about that as well.. maybe i should give it a try..

VF: yup... that'd be the one.. it's huge kan? heheh... but i love it..

PerantauSepi1306 said...

arn, hope u're feeling much better now, k.

The Star Gazer said...

SP: Thanks... I am better, tho not much...