Thursday, July 13, 2006

Lessons Learned

It was the first road accident for me.

I've had my driving license since 1996 and as if to mark my ten years of clean driving record, God decided that I need to taste a tad bit of bitterness in life. An experience I will not forget for the rest of my life.

I dreamt about it and kept waking every hour. I was restless the whole night. I kept seeing the accident over and over like a broken dvd playing the same scene repeatedly.

My boss was kind enough to let me take the day off.

Sent my car to the workshop and after thorough inspection, we found more dents on the door, below it and and on the bumper. It'll take 2 days to fix, paint a new coat and replace the side mirror. The bill estimation is around $1500.

Ironically, we just spent that much last weekend to fix the cooling coil yang bocor. Sigh.

I learned a lot from the whole incident on July 12.

Firstly, I was upset that my car smelt and covered with coffee but I have to be thankful that it didn't happen while I was getting off the car. Otherwise, I would be the one smelling and covered in kopi basi instead.

Second, no matter how much I hated those people for not co-operating and not feeling the least remorse that their projects screwed up, I still have a boss that understands my position and most importantly believe that I'll do okay.

Thirdly, i need to seriously be going to the gym more often. I need to do that for my own good.

Next, no matter how much i need to pay the abang in the workshop, I have to be thankful that the rider is still alive and I am okay. I need to remember that one slight mistake (like not turning on the indicator) can cause more than just scratches to people and vehicles. I should have been more careful and cautious while driving like I always do and not take things for granted. Accidents can happen to anyone at any time. Am also thankful that we managed to settle the whole thing quickly and I managed to stay calm through the whole incident. No brawls or screaming - thank God. I thought I made the right decision of not telling Deli about the accident when it happened. I know he would panic and the last thing I want was for him was to worry about me. He only got to know about it when I parked my car in front of the house.

Lastly, i need to really trust my instincts. I don't know why but I had images of accidents the whole of Tuesday. My instinct also told me to take the usual route no matter how bad the traffic was but the ignorant me decided to take the 'clear' road instead coz I was too tired and too hungry to queue patiently.

So.. the car would be ready by Monday. I'll be at work tomorrow, have set a date for gym with VF and we're going back to BP with Deli's car.

Life goes on and am looking at it from a different persective now. Good luck to me.

No comments: