Thursday, November 06, 2008

Only Now

I am worried.

I had an interview with a journalist from one of the local dailies (more details on that later) this afternoon. She asked me questions in Malay and I was supposed to respond in the same language.

It was an eye opener.

Why?

Because I had problem communicating in proper and complete Bahasa Melayu. A problem I never thought I would have.

I kept translating words in my head but it sounded stupid and somehow inappropriate.

Now I understand what Sharifah Amani meant when she said that she sounded stupid when she speaks Malay.

And no, I’m not saying that I am fluent in English either. I just thought that I am capable of conversing in proper Bahasa. As always, I thought wrong.

Weird thing was, I teased Yana when she had to rehearse for a radio interview with one of the local radio station yesterday.

Darn. What is wrong with me?

5 comments:

wallpapersdeco said...

hi have a nice day.. looking for wallpapers for your house or office? or your friends/relative interested, visit my blog! thanks

Spena said...

Arn!! I ahve the same problem too. Damn difficult to speak in 100% bahasa malaysia. sometimes nak translate pun susah...

Anonymous said...

too used to speaking in english de la u.....hahahah

PerantauSepi1306 said...

miahahahahaha... kita serupa.... aku kagumss bila dapat email dari putrajaya seme dalam proper BM.. me replying... u guess lah.. :D

Unknown said...

same here..with my first 2 kids, I let them watch barney, maisy etc a lot so they'll be good in English..pastu bila dah 2-3 thn dah they all tak berapa reti cakap BM..so I let them watch malay cartoons, astro ceria etc..tapi sekarang English dah mula berterabur pulak *isk isk*