Friday, January 02, 2009

About Me

Happy New Year, dear readers :)

While we're at that, happy birthday to me :)

I have never had a new year resolution nor have I ever made a pact upon each passing birthday. I simply make a resolution as and when I feel like it. It's so like me to not go with the flow.

I do however, reflect upon things that I could have done better and sometimes wonder about stuff that I couldn't comprehend. Here are some of the stuff...

Principles
I hate having someone to dictate how I do things or how I live my life. I detest the idea of living to someone else's expectations. I just hate to play by stupid, illogical rules. I do things my way and if I don't get it, you'll never see me stomping away. I'm not 5.

There are millions of means to get your way. It's a matter of how you pull it off. It's not easy - to get things the way you want it and not cause a stir. It's either a gift or a result of endless practice.

At the same time, it doesn't mean that I am a hardcore rebel. Nor am I a hard-headed, difficult or intolerable person. If you know me, I mean really know me, I am not that at all. You just have to know your way around.

Friends
I am careful when it comes to labelling people as friends. I don't have that many because frankly, trustworthy people are such rare breed. I know a lot of individuals. I think all of us do. I don't think it's right to call them 'friends'. Not if you only talk to them when you happen to pass them by or when you needed a favor.

You keep your friends close because they would be the ones you talk to for no pressing reason. Your friends will do anything for you to the best of their abilities (and vice versa) and tell you that red is not your color no matter how much you love the shoe/dress/bag design.

The keyword is honesty. You'd go a long way with that. Seriously.

Self-Worthy
It bothers me to think that one has to adapt to someone else's nature or attitude to keep the calm. Why does it always have to be us? Why can't someone else adapt to our antics, for a change?

To be the better person, perhaps? Maybe so but surely we can't do that on a full time basis?

We should be able to portray our true selves at some point. The question is, when is right time? When can we be an indivudual withing being judged for not conforming?

The Future
What's wrong of not having the ultimate plan in life? I like living my life one day at a time and not think about what's gonna happen tomorrow or the day after. For all you know, you might be dead tomorrow.

So what if I don't have the ambition to be the boss? I am happy enough to be doing what I am good at and enjoy doing. I do put in extra effort when required but I don't believe in slaving myself silly at work and lose sight of other things in life.

Balancing life is hard enough as it is. Let's not complicate it with unnecessary commitments.

Money
So what if I spend my money the way I want to? Wasting money to eat out? The kids should know a thing or two about fine-dining or at least a good eatery they could bring their favorite people to once in a while. The should know of the ocean of options available when it comes to stuffing their faces silly.

Wasting money on vacations? I might not be able to buy them expensive stuff but I hope the memories of good vacations lasts forever in their minds. At least they know what to expect when travelling to unfamiliar places and meeting new faces. A keepsake, at least. To last them a lifetime.

Yesterday's a history and tomorrow's a mystery. Today however, is a gift. That's why it's called the p.r.e.s.e.n.t. - a line from a movie I saw earlier this week -

Okay. Enough with the ramblings.

Again, I would like to share the wise words of Jason Mraz;

Live high, live mighty, live righteously, take it easy.

7 comments:

larawannabe said...

w00t! happy birthday to you. and happy new year, too :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Arn...

Perhaps you may want to consider coffee with less sugar for year 2009?. By the way, how's health lately?

Take care
Aske'

The Star Gazer said...

Thank you ladies :)

Believe it or not, starbucks coffee are the only 'sweet' drinks i'm consuming nowadays... hehehe

I seriously think that they spiked the coffee. It's so addictive!

Spena said...

Happy Birthday Sist! Sorry for the late wish as I am wishing you now from Chieng Mai!
Hope you have a great year ahead...
Take care

The Star Gazer said...

A birthday wish from Chieng Mai.. huyooo.. coolness!

Thanks a million :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Zuraini..sorry for this late wish. Have not been by lately and suddenly so many posts..! Must be the "spiked" coffee eh? I pulak terbalik, I can have 2 mugs of nescafe and still zzzzzzzz right after that..

Unknown said...

Aiyoh tadi tak sempat komen pasal post ni lahh..anyway I love this post. SO, SO true. Well, to me also, at least. P.R.E.S.E.N.T...what movie was that? Sorry lah i ni dah bertahun tak masuk cinema.